Weird database behavior

Hey Patrik,

I'm in a weird situation now. I'll try to explain the procedure I got to the problematic point.

1 Upload pictures and folders to the server. As in a previous post, I got the database error, then I tried to identify the problematic files and removed the headers.
2 I have a single folder in album directory, with ~10 subdirs and ~30 pictures. One of the subdirs had 129 pictures, let's call it dirA
3 I tried to upload more pictures into dirA, and did a scan. I didn't see any error (since I've only experienced database errors displayed by their own).
4 At this point, I found out that the number of pics in the drop down list for dirA was still 129.
5 I tried to purge the cache and data dirs, but to no vail.
6 I tried to reload my album folder, with only those successfully recognized by PA. This time, I saw exactly the same error message displayed at the bottom of main setup, galleries, and pictures page.
7 What's weirder is that without touching any file on my server, I clicked scan directories again, this time, the error messages were displayed by their own.

I'm completely lost in this scenario. Is there something wrong with my server configuration?

This is really wired, as I

This is really wired, as I just tried it with your pictures you sent me and it works on my server without problems ... it must be something else .. but no idea what it could be.

Could you post some link to your site? So I can look at your phpinfo ...


link to my site

Thanks Patrik,

This is the phpinfo link

You can see this is my U's site, so basically I can't touch anything on it.

FYI, my PA is installed here

As you can see, the database errors are shown at the bottom of the page.

Could you send me your

Could you send me your zipped data directory, I want just to look what is wrong there...

Or you could try uncomment (

Or you could try uncomment ( remove // ) the lines 577 and 579 in your phpdatabase.php file. I could see then more what happens there, but album will be unusable for that time.
Please let it sou until I give you feedback .


I've sent you the data

I've sent you the data folder and uncommented the codes. There's no private info in this installation, (other than the data, cache, album dir names you advised to change) it's just a test drive.


It looks like it is

It looks like it is character problem.
One of your photos have in IPTC (something like exif) as keyword "Moo miniCard" with some wired character at end of it. This is normally stored in PA-Database, but this one character is not valid and PHP has problems with it. Unfortunately you can't switch off using keywords, you'll have to find that picture and remove it or correct that keyword.


Ok, I was wrong, you can

Ok, I was wrong, you can switch it off and I just did it on your site, but the database is already corrupt, and there are many triple directories in your DB.

You will have to delete data directory files. After this, before setting up Photos-Directory firs switch off using of IPTC in Setup-Main Setup. After this try to scan your photo dir. It should work. But you will be not able to use search after keywords and IPTC descriptions of photos (if you have some) will not be automatically imported.


Thank you very much

Thank you very much Patrik.

I used digiKam to add that IPTC keyword, maybe it's some sort of terminator, I'll try to check that out.

Just to let you know, Patrik

Just to let you know, Patrik (and others who might also experience this weird problem)

I figured out that the Iptc.Application2.Keywords should be of String format. digiKam might write it as other formats, eg Ascii

I used exiv2 to write IPTC keywords, once as String:
exiv2 -M"set Iptc.Application2.Keywords String example" example.jpg

and once as Ascii:
exiv2 -M"set Iptc.Application2.Keywords Ascii example" example.jpg

digiKam recognized both these keywords, but since I guess PA follows the IPTC standards, it doesn't support Ascii Keywords. String works fine.


Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.